Skincare that Combats Stress-induced Skin Ageing
Stress, we all experience it.
No matter how “perfect” someone’s life or social media posts may seem, no one is immune to stress. It’s normal, almost expected, part of daily life today thanks to busy family lives, work pressure, being connected to our phones and laptops 24/7, financial uncertainties, relationship issues, health issues, and the list goes on.
We tend to think stress is only a mental or emotional feeling, but in fact when stressful situations happen, they trigger a physical/biochemical response in our bodies, the so-called “flight or fight” response. Both your brain and skin release stress hormones when we are stressed.
Stress-induced skin problems:
Your stress response can be short-lived, which doesn’t take as great a physical toll on you because your body has a chance to recover from it. But nowadays we often experience chronic stress, in which case there is very little recuperation time and plenty of wear and tear on your body and mind over time. If stress becomes chronic and stress hormones levels are raised on a regular basis, this can cause a series of negative impacts on our body, especially our skin, causing imbalances that result in skin issues such as:
- Dehydration, dullness, lack of radiance
Stress causes our skin barrier to weaken and not function at its best, which results in a loss of hydration and suppleness in the skin as the skin’s ability to retain water is hindered. We also sweat more as stress triggers our fight or flight response and this also leads to dehydrated skin. Cortisol in particular is a stress hormone that affects the body’s ability to properly absorb nutrients which also causes the skin to look dull, due to a lack of vitamins and minerals.
- Premature ageing, fine lines and wrinkles
Stress can also cause changes to proteins in the skin, high amounts of cortisol can break down the skin's collagen and elastin, which reduces its elasticity and skin’s youthful appearance, as the lack of elasticity and collagen support in the skin can contribute to wrinkles and loss of suppleness. Skin is also less able to regenerate and renew itself due to stress.
- Acne, inflammation and redness
When stressed, many people suffer from acne flare-ups. Cortisol and androgens increase your skin’s oil production, which can exacerbate acne. Stress might also worsen acne by triggering the production of cytokines, tiny proteins that stoke inflammation, including inflammation of the area around sebaceous glands. Meanwhile, stress impairs skin barrier function and makes skin more susceptible to irritants and allergens, causing redness and inflammation of the skin.
Skincare intentionally made for combating stress-induced skin issues:
Besides stress relief techniques as we mentioned in many of our previous blog posts. We also need skincare products intentionally made to combat the effect of stress on our skin.
With extensive research and scientifically backed ingredients designed to combat stress induced damages on the skin, Timeless Elixir Facial Serum helps the skin regain its balance and radiance from daily stressors by utilising the power of a unique blend of 20 botanical ingredients:
- Calendula, Lavender, Tomato Carotenoids, Tamanu oil all work to lower inflammation on the skin.
- Pomegranate, Sea Buckthorn oil and Blueberry NECTA contain potent antioxidants that work to reduce free radical damage, caused by both psychical environmental and psychological stress.
- Bakuchiol, Sea Buckthorn oil, Rose-hip seed oil and Frankincense work to also smooth fine lines and wrinkles, and aid the skin’s ability to regenerate and renew itself to combat premature ageing.
- The complete and balanced fatty acids of omega 3,6,7,9, phytoceramides and sterols strengthen the skin barrier, skin is healthier and hydrated.
- Give an instant and lasting glow to your complexion, combat the dullness from daily stressors.
- The divine scent from Timeless Elixir also instantly relaxes and uplifts you, and elevates stress from your mind.
Since it is inevitable that we will all undergo stress, it is important that we understand the ways in which we can handle its impact on our skin. Find skincare that includes ingredients that work incredibly well together to deeply feed your skin, regain its balance, and therefore function better.
For relaxed skin, that radiates well-being.